Today’s consumers, regardless of nationality and age group, believes that their
home decor and furniture should reflect their personalities. They are looking for unique pieces, and by personalizing IKEA, custom furniture is fast and accessible for regular people.
"IKEA makes good, affordable bases, which is what we take advantage of when creating designer parts to give them a more custom, less cookie-cutter look,” says Norse's founder and CEO, Lotta Lundaas.
Although we wish we could provide components to all IKEA's products, we have chosen to focus on their two oldest, most beloved, series called Besta and Malm.
#Tip: If you want to skip all the visuals, and get a list of all the IKEA items we support, please click here.
The Besta cabinets are known for their modularity and can be used as credenzas, TV stands, office furniture, and (almost) everything in between. Here are a few examples of how different the Besta can look, using Norse doors, sides, tops, and accessories.
#Tip: Our small door works both as doors and drawers.
#Tip: Choose a Besta frame closest to the door color you pick, to give the piece a more uniform look.
#Tip: If you're looking to join several Besta cabinets, check out How to connect multiple IKEA Besta units.
Tip: You can buy the Besta cabinet frame without doors, so it's a zero-waste upgrade! Also, it's budget-friendly customization to just upgrading the doors.
Malm nightstands and dressers
The Malm series has been going through the wringer, to say the least, being involved in tipping accidents a few years ago. IKEA had to recall all dressers, and make a design change to make it stable (which it is now). Nevertheless, it's maintained its position as being one of their most beloved series and comes both as dressers and nightstands.
To make it more personal, and give it a more premium look, Norse makes drawer fronts in various patterns and colors. We have also raised the front itself to create a larger homogenous surface. Here are a few examples of the Malm with Norse drawer fronts and accessories.
#Tip: Our dresser fronts are sold individually, to fit all the different Malm sizes, so change the quantity according to the number of drawers your Malm dresser has.
Knobs and legs
Our knobs and legs have a universal fit and can be added to any type of furniture, not just IKEA pieces.
#Tip: When you drill holes for knobs, drill from the outside in and place a piece of firm material on the inside to drill into. If you don’t drill into something, you run a higher risk of chipping the paint.
Our legs are made of steel and are finished in brass or chrome plating, or a matte black powder finish. The Sara and Ilse legs have a universal fitting plate, which needs to be attached to a flat surface.
All IKEA items you can customize with Norse
If you are more of a "list-person"; this is a summary of all the IKEA pieces which you can hack with Norse. Remember that you can combine different units both vertically and horizontally though.
Sideboards/Credenzas/Office storage furniture
- 1 door, 15" high: 702.458.48 (white), 302.473.78 (walnut), 602.459.62 (black/brown)
- 2 doors, 15" high: 602.458.44 (white), 202.473.74 (walnut), 702.459.52 (black/brown)
- 1 door, 25" high: 302.458.50 (white), 702.473.81 (walnut), 202.459.64 (black/brown)
- 2 doors, 25" high: 102.458.46 (white), 702.473.76 (walnut), 502.459.53 (black/brown)
- 2 doors, 15" high: 802.945.03 (white), 102.945.11 (walnut), 902.945.12 (black/brown), with shelves 792.025.33 (compatible with all color combinations)
- 3 doors, 15" high: 602.945.04 (white), 302.945.05 (walnut), 702.945.08 (black/brown), with shelves 391.940.16 (compatible with all color combinations)
- 2 doors, 25" high: 402.998.90 (white), 802.998.88 (walnut), 402.998.85 (black/brown)
- 3 doors, 25" high: 702.998.79 (white), 102.998.77 (walnut), 802.998.74 (black/brown)
- 4 doors, 25" high: 392.975.14 (compatible with all color combinations)
- 3-drawer: 003.604.60 (compatible with all colors)
- 4-drawer: 203.604.64 (compatible with all colors)
- 6-drawer: 303.604.68 (compatible with all colors)
- 4+2 drawer: 603.604.76 (compatible with all colors)
- 2-drawer: 802.145.49 (compatible with all colors)
Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any additional questions about compatibility or general questions.
You might also like: Choosing the best hardware for your furniture.